Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: F-22 Raptor


Senior Member - Level 1

Posts: 501
Date: Jan 27, 2011
RE: F-22 Raptor
Permalink Closed




__________________


Member

Posts: 10
Date: Feb 6, 2011
Permalink Closed

How about we focus more on unmanned systems instead of putting so much money into obsolete programs as the manned fighter? They are much more maneuverable and less expensive to produce. With that we can regain our air supperiority.

__________________


Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 403
Date: Feb 6, 2011
Permalink Closed

neoNEURO wrote:

As for "everyone" wanting the F-35, that's because the F-22 was banned for export.



That is not entirely true as it was stated that they would favourably consider a request from Australia.



__________________
Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.


Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 6, 2011
Permalink Closed

Commander31 wrote:

That is not entirely true as it was stated that they would favourably consider a request from Australia.


 

Where did you get that from? American federal law prohibits the export of F22s to all other countries, including Australia.



__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 427
Date: Feb 6, 2011
Permalink Closed

Sidewinder wrote:
Commander31 wrote:

That is not entirely true as it was stated that they would favourably consider a request from Australia.



Where did you get that from? American federal law prohibits the export of F22s to all other countries, including Australia.


 

According to wiki:

Some Australian politicians and defense commentators have proposed that Australia purchase F-22s instead of the F-35. In 2006, the Australian Labor Party supported this proposal on the grounds that the F-22 is a proven, highly capable aircraft, while the F-35 is still under development. However, Australia's Howard government ruled out purchase of the F-22, on the grounds that it is unlikely to be released for export, and does not have sufficient ground/maritime strike capacity.



__________________

We have here the latest in primitive technology.

Internet + Opinions = OMG we are SCREWED!



Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 6, 2011
Permalink Closed

Ah I see but you forgot this part:

In 2007, the Australian government ordered a review of plans to procure the F-35 and F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. This review will include an evaluation of the F-22's suitability for Australia; moreover, then Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon stated: "I intend to pursue American politicians for access to the Raptor". In February 2008, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said he had no objection to sale of the Raptor to Australia, but Congress would have to change the law.


__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 403
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

Sidewinder wrote:

Ah I see but you forgot this part:


In 2007, the Australian government ordered a review of plans to procure the F-35 and F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. This review will include an evaluation of the F-22's suitability for Australia; moreover, then Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon stated: "I intend to pursue American politicians for access to the Raptor". In February 2008, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said he had no objection to sale of the Raptor to Australia, but Congress would have to change the law.


I hope they do because we could sure use a few of those over here.



__________________
Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.


Senior Member - Level 1

Posts: 501
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed



__________________


Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

Commander31 wrote:

I hope they do because we could sure use a few of those over here.



I'm sure everyone could.aww

And you are from Australia? What part?



__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 403
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

Gold Coast, Queensland.

__________________
Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.


Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

Nice place! Beautiful beaches...

__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Senior Member - Level 1

Posts: 501
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed



__________________


Senior Member - Level 1

Posts: 501
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

RC biggrin




__________________


Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 427
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

I want one of those!

__________________

We have here the latest in primitive technology.

Internet + Opinions = OMG we are SCREWED!



Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 207
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

The Air Force's modernization strategy is to develop a mix of high-capability F-22s and lower-cost JSFs to achieve dominant capability and force readiness. The JSF is very effective as a low-cost, multi-mission aircraft optimized for attacking ground targets. It is not a substitute for the F-22. The JSF is primarily designed as an affordable replacement for the Air Force's aging F-16s and A-10s, and will depend on the F-22 for air superiority. Just as the F-15 and F-16 are a highly successful, synergistic team today, the F-22 and JSF will be the winning team of the future; however, neither can succeed on its own.

__________________
Love is the best medicine, and there is more than enough to go around once you open your heart.

-Julie Marie


Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 427
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

spacemanC wrote:

How about we focus more on unmanned systems instead of putting so much money into obsolete programs as the manned fighter? They are much more maneuverable and less expensive to produce. With that we can regain our air supperiority.


 

I agree. Unmanned systems are the way of the future.

Also isn't there a program to develop a UAV version of the A-10?



__________________

We have here the latest in primitive technology.

Internet + Opinions = OMG we are SCREWED!



Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 8, 2011
Permalink Closed

Yes, its supposed to undergo testing in 2014.



__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Veteran Member - Level 1

Posts: 59
Date: Feb 9, 2011
F-22 vs Eurofighter
Permalink Closed




__________________
Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.


Veteran Member - Level 1

Posts: 80
Date: Feb 9, 2011
F-22 Raptor
Permalink Closed


Well this was a waste! The F-22 owns the Eurofighter. Even the Dassault Rafale has better stealth and agility than the Eurofighter!



__________________

buugh0st-fin.gif

Guns don't kill people... people kill people.


Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

Of course and so does the J-10B.



__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Veteran Member - Level 1

Posts: 80
Date: Feb 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

Yep. And this reminds me, a better match I think for the Eurofighter would be the J-11B, mostly because of stronger thrust vector engines and reduced RCS.



__________________

buugh0st-fin.gif

Guns don't kill people... people kill people.


Veteran Member - Level 1

Posts: 59
Date: Feb 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

neoNEURO wrote:

Yep. And this reminds me, a better match I think for the Eurofighter would be the J-11B, mostly because of stronger thrust vector engines and reduced RCS.


 

Not to mention the AESA radar, but I do not remember reports of a thrust vector engine.



__________________
Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.


Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 186
Date: Feb 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

neoNEURO wrote:

Yep. And this reminds me, a better match I think for the Eurofighter would be the J-11B, mostly because of stronger thrust vector engines and reduced RCS.


 

J-11Bs don't have thrust vectoring engines.



__________________

"I love the smell of CGI in the morning..."



Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 207
Date: Feb 9, 2011
F-22 vs Eurofighter
Permalink Closed


Thrust vectoring is mostly for ground assault aircraft like the F-35 as it only works in low altitude and low speed. Its otherwise useless for air superiority fighters in higher altitude and speed.

__________________
Love is the best medicine, and there is more than enough to go around once you open your heart.

-Julie Marie


Veteran Member - Level 3

Posts: 463
Date: Feb 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

That cant be right, the F22 Raptor uses thrust vectoring allowing a tighter turning radius.

__________________


Veteran Member - Level 2

Posts: 207
Date: Feb 9, 2011
F-22 Raptor
Permalink Closed


-airfoil- wrote:

That cant be right, the F22 Raptor uses thrust vectoring allowing a tighter turning radius.


 

Sure in dog-fighting for example, but not for speed higher than 300mph.



__________________
Love is the best medicine, and there is more than enough to go around once you open your heart.

-Julie Marie


Senior Member - Level 1

Posts: 501
Date: Mar 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

Top view comparison of YF-22 to production F-22A Raptor

Credit for this find goes to Triton.


Attachments
__________________


Moderator

Posts: 180
Date: Mar 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

Threads merged.  ^_^



__________________


Administrator

Posts: 3381
Date: Mar 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

Interesting picture I found via SPF member mr.sukhoi...



Attachments
__________________
Brony rotorhead
--------------------------
               ζ  
--------------------------


Administrator

Posts: 3381
Date: Mar 9, 2011
Permalink Closed

Plus the bomb bay, found via Matej.

Attachments
__________________
Brony rotorhead
--------------------------
               ζ  
--------------------------
«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard